History of the
The history of the settlement area Zabergäu and thus also the history of today’s Hotel Restaurant Herzogskelter goes back to 5000 B.C. Numerous Roman finds prove that a large Roman settlement existed here.
In 1295 Güglingen received its town charter. The wine press was built in 1568/72 under the dukes Christoph and Ludwig and was used for storing the wine and fruit harvest until 1976.
In 1979/81 the wine press was converted into a citizens’ hall with restaurant and hotel in the course of urban renewal. An important aspect of the concept was the integration of art in the public space. In addition to historical memorabilia such as Roman finds, cast iron plates and path stones, it is above all contemporary sculptures of the town of Güglingen that are to give it its unmistakable character.